Wednesday, September 05, 2007

A Short Update

So I never quite made it out to the D-Day beaches. I got to Caen to find out that all the tours for the next few days were booked up, so I toured the Normandy Museum (which was pretty amazing, with an extensive video archive collection of WWII) then headed back to Paris. The next day I took it easy, climbed the Eiffel Tower and met up with my old flatmate Brianne. I finally had someone to hang out with on the grass infront of the Eiffel Tower with (along with the rest of Paris) and we managed to take the classic photos and finish off a few bottles of wine. Brianne convinced me that Euro Disneyland was a "must-see" attraction, so off we went. It was a great day, but I was temoprarily side-lined with a bit of a migrane in the start of the day. A quick stop at the First Aid tent got me back on my feet for the most part and the rollercoasters were enough of a distraction that I didn´t pay my head much attention. We even ended the day with a ride on It´s a Small World and I managed to keep my sanity. It had been a while since I had been on a rollercoaster, but couldn´t wipe the grin off my face after the first drop (just wait to see it pictures). And yes, that is Brianne SCREAMING as I am laughing histerically.

After Paris I had to pop back in to Switzerland to see the last recommended place on everones list, Luzern. I had a few days of hiking around the mountains and met a few cool people, but everything was cut fairly short as the rain moved in.

Heading into Austria the weather has been more of the same. I got to Innsbruck and hiked for as long as possible, but ended up playing cards in the evenings when the rain forced up inside. Wein (Vienna) has been more of the same story. I had a chance to walk around and see some of the sights this morning, but got caught out in a downpour this afternoon, then read at the hostel all afternoon.
Regardless of the weather, Vienna has been one of the coolest citys I have been in so far. I will definitely have to come back for a follow-up visit when I make my way through Eastern Europe.

I have got 2 more nights here in Vienna, then 3 in Salzburg, 3 in Munich, a few in Aachen and Cologne, 4 in Berlin a quick stop over in Dresden/Leipzig/Nurenburg, then back down to Munich for Oktoberfest at the end of the month.
Hopefully the weather will clear up a bit in the next few days so that I am not just stuck in the hostel, but it is nice to have a few cooler nights...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home