Sunday, July 29, 2007

I don't have much time, but wanted to say that I am still loving Portugal and have been incredibly busy - here is a quick rundown of my week.

Met some really cool Aussies in Porto and had a great time at the hostel. They were heading on the same route as me and we planned on meeting up later in the trip.

Took off to Lisbon, but didn't like the city all that much. There wasn't much to see or do aside from the typical big city stuff. I took a day trip out to Sintra (on the advice of everyone that has ever been there), and loved it. I ended up hiking all the way to the top of the palace, but the weather wasn't too hot and I guess a little more walking never hurts (it was about 10km each way).
I had to change hostels a few nights into my stay in Lisbon because my first place was all booked, but ended up meeting Helene from Denmark and have been travelling with her since. We went to a Fado Music Bar the first night and ended getting caught in a bit of a tourist trap and had to pay €10 for a bottle of beer and to hear the music. Then the next night we went to a Portugese bull fight. Amazing. This was definitely a major highlight of the entire trip. I've got some great videos and pictures, but can't upload them at the moment.

We had no accomidation the next night, so we caught a train to Evora and camped. Aside from brutal heat and a horrible walk to the campsite, it was great. The site had a grocery store and a pool. It also helped that it was a whole lot cheaper than staying in a hostel. Plus, the city had the draw of an awesome chapel made of human bones (Capela dos Ossos) - it was unreal to see.

We headed down to Lagos the next day with the intention of staying for a couple of nights. However, once we got here we met a guy from Edmonton, two girls from California and my Aussie friends from Porto - we are now all staying 6 nights. We rented an appartment, so I am finally able to get some good home cooking in, and everything is fairly cheap around here. This place is a huge tourist destination, so everything is in English and there is tons to do. I am planning on taking a few day trips out to surrounding areas (one of them being the Western-most point of continental Europe).

After my stay here I will bus to Seville for a few days, but am not too sure where I will end up after that. I am planning on meeting up with a friend and traveling through a bit of France in the middle of Aug, but still have to iron out all those plans.

Cheers,
Trev

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home