Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Last week in Beer Town

It wasn't quite Canada Day, but it was excitement nonetheless.
On Saturday night I went out for Brianne's (former flatmate) last night in Dublin before she takes off to travel around for the next few months. It was a fairly typical night, starting with a bit of pre-drinking at her flat, then heading to a few pubs on the way to Temple Bar before settling in at The Turks Head (one of many multi-story pubs with a varriety of lounges/dance areas on each floor). I guess we were there until about 2am, when the hunger pains started setting in. As we were enjoying our pizza a guy came up and asked for change. We politely said no and he went on his way. Following right behind him was a woman making the same rounds, but when we told her no, she made a grab at Brianne. Bri turned her shoulder and kicked a leg out at the woman and I threw an arm in her direction, causing the woman to bail against the side of a building. I think the whole exchange took her by surprise just as much as it did us - after yelling at her, she got to her feet took off down an alley. In hindsight I'm just happy she was alone - there has been a surprising influx in the number of shootings/stabbings/pipe bombings in the past few weeks in the local area and you never really know how crazy the people around you really are.

The night before that I had met up with Susan, her Mom (who was out visiting for the weekend), and a bunch of her classmates. I had only planned on meeting up for a pint out two, but it quickly turned into a half-dozen and in no time we were being told to leave because the pub was closing.

The plan was to go out again on Sunday night to Celebrate Canada Day at the Woolshed Baa (Aussie Bar) - they were selling bottles of Moosehead and Molson Ice for €4 and even added poutine to the menu for the event. In the end I decided to lay down before considering meeting up with my flatmates, who were already there, but must fallen into quite a deep sleep - I didn't end up waking until my alarm went off Monday morning...

Work is creeping along - I'm officially down to my last week and am in the process of passing my work off to others. On Thursday I am going out for dinner and a few pints with the guys I usually eat lunch with as a farewell, which should be a pretty decent time.

At the flat, I am starting to look at packing up my stuff and we will start looking for a new tennant to replace me this weekend. Things with the latest roommate from Slovakia are going well, but he keeps to himself for the most part. I have seen all the movies at the theatre and am starting to get even more bored than usual aorund here - It is definitely time to move on...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home