Wednesday, July 11, 2007

What's Next?

Once again, I am officially unemployed. The fact that I am leaving for Spain tomorrow still hasn't really set in, but I can't wait. My last day of work consisted of the typical monotony of every other day, but was made bearable by a couple hours at the pub for a farewell lunch. Also, I got another Guinness shirt to add to my collection of parting gifts. I'm not quite sure when I'll end up working again, but I should be able to make it at least a few months until my bank statements come back redder than an old brewers' face (they only work until about 2pm, then drink the rest of the day, and they've been at it for about 40 years...)

Shortly after I got home from work I was lucky enough to have a few last visitors stop by to see me here in Dublin; Jessica (first came over for St. Paddy's Week), Molly (her cousin) and Delaney (another one of the crew from Victoria). This was the last stop in their quick tour of Ireland, before taking off to see a bit more of Europe. Jessica and Molly were able to score tickets to Riverdance here in town, so after catching up we headed over to the Gaitey, of course, stopping off at Oliver St. John Gogerty's for a quick pint along the way. Jess and Molly took off to the show and I gave Delaney the two euro tour of Dublin. This consisted of a walk through Trinity College, up Grafton, across St. Stephen's Green and back in to a few pubs for more drinks. After the show the girls had to take off, but when I got home I was greeted by 5 former and current flatmates. I'm not too sure if they were celebrating because Martin got a job, or just the fact that it was a Tuesday night (or possibly that I am leaving tomorrow...?), but whatever it was, the shots continued to flow until the neighbors came by pounding on the door at about half-two. I don't think they were too happy about the excessive air horn use in the alley. Not that I was either – I pretty much went to bed after I got home, but there was no chance of sleep with the party taking place on the other side of my paper-thin wall.

I've got my bag packed, but it is a bit heavier than I want it to be. I think I'll end up cutting out about half the clothes that I was planning on bringing, and just buy stuff along the way as I need it. Ideally I will be able to get the total weight down under 10kg, which doesn't give me much space to deal with considering that my camping gear and backpack itself weigh about 4.5kg. However, I think the inconvenience of having limited changes of clothes will be far outweighed by the comfort of a light bag.

I don't remember where exactly I heard this, but they are great words to travel by (paraphrased):
“When backpacking you don't really need all that much, just remember to change clothes or change towns every other day... You will never be the smelliest person on the bus, so don't even worry about it.”

I'm not sure when I'll be able to post again, but it will most likely be after the Running of the Bulls on Friday/Saturday. I'm not quite sure where I'll head after Pamplona, but am sure I'll come up with a great travel itinerary after I finish my first kalimotxo; and where ever I end up, they are bound to have an internet cafe.

This concludes the Irish leg of my Wandering Abroad.
I hope my posts and pictures have provided a bit of entertainment, or at least been a tool of procrastination over the past 9 months, and with any luck I'll be able to keep things up-to-date while I travel these next 11 weeks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home