Sunday, May 20, 2007

Luck of the Irish

If things keep going like this I might not be quite as poor at the end of my summer trip as I though! I had placed an early bet on Padraig Harrington to win the Irish Open, and he came through, taking it in a playoff hole - the final result sees me €100 richer.

Lately all the talk at work as revolved around the upcoming election (this Thursday). As with any event, everyday the guys print out the odds from PaddyPower.com and debate their own predictions. I wish I could say that I have been following it and have an idea of what is going on around here, but without tv or a newspaper I've kinda just let it slide by unnoticed. From what I hear, there have been the typical allegations against the current Prime Minister over misappropriated funds, as well as childish banter back and forth during the televised debates (so not exactly any different than back home at all.)

Speaking of work, things are going fairly well. I'm set up with a workstation that conveniently has my back to the wall, so I am able to indulge in wasting time with MSN and facebook while still looking like I'm hard at work. . . Just to fill you in, my latest contract has be compiling information from safety audits of off-site warehouses. This basically involves me doing a few hours of data-entry and re-formatting of existing reports all day. I've been told that (because it's a tediously boring job; hence, the reason an outside contract worker was brought in to do it), they will try to get me involved with a couple other projects outside the scope of what I was hired to do. Even if this doesn't come to fruition, I'm only there for another 7 weeks before I take off for Spain.

My birthday came and went on Friday - woke up to a flat full of balloons, had lunch with my old co-workers from my last contract, then met up with friends and flatmates that night after work to go out to the bar. All in all, a great night - I'm just happy I had nothing to do on Saturday. I should have pics to put up in the next few days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home