Sunday, April 29, 2007

The End of Unemployment

The only real news is that I've got a meeting on Tuesday afternoon to meet with a few people about my new role with Diageo. At this point I don't have much of an idea what I'll be doing, but apparently I'll be within the "Logistics" department and my title has something to do with "Compliance". I'm sure it'll all be sorted out at the meeting.

Aside from seeing a record number of movies the past 2 weeks (I think about 15 or so) I haven't had all that much going on. Last week Whitney gave an invite to tag along to a going away party for one of the girls she works with. In the end, the girl who was leaving only stuck around for the time we were at the first bar - the rest of us headed to a late bar and got home just before dawn (there are a few random pics from that night up).

Yesterday I searched out a pub that would actually play the Canada v. Germany hockey game, but couldn't track down anyone to check it out with me. I still went, and had my own personal tv in the corner of the pub, but was drowned out by the ~50 people around the corner watching the Swiss v. Latvia game (by the sounds of the cheers they belonged to the latter). That night Susan came over for a few drinks before we went out the Stairway to Zeppelin concert (Led Zeppelin Tribute band). These guys were about as close to looking back to the 70s as you could get, and put on an awesome show. "Jimmy Beige" killed on the double-necked guitar and even played it with a violin bow a couple of times. The drummer was pretty decent too, but "Robert Planet" was getting pretty annoying with is lame air guitar routine throughout the whole show. However, one of the best parts was watching the group of middle-aged guys rocking out beside us (with their blazers tied around their waists) - they were loving it, but putting on quite the spectacle.

I can't remember if I mentioned it in another post or not, but last week I also bought a ticket for Ultimate Fighting (UFC 72) up in Belfast in the middle of June. Again, I couldn't find anyone to tag along at the time, so I'll just head up solo. This is how the fight card is looking so far - it'll be great to see the guys from Ultimate Fighter 3 (Singer and Herman) fight, as well as Franklin and Griffin, who have been around for quite a while now:
  • Middleweight bout: Flag of United States Rich Franklin vs. Flag of Denmark Martin Kampmann
  • Light Heavyweight bout: Flag of United States Forrest Griffin vs. Flag of United States Hector Ramirez
  • Lightweight bout: Flag of United States Tyson Griffin vs. Flag of United States Clay Guida
  • Middleweight bout: Flag of Canada Jason MacDonald vs. Flag of United States Rory Singer
  • Middleweight bout: Flag of United States Scott Smith vs. Flag of United States Ed Herman
Finally, I was browsing through Paddypower to see if there was anything worth betting on for the day and found that, in true Irish fashion, they were taking the piss out of the Canucks:

We all remember our first time, the nerves, the anticipation, the flood of pleasure and then it's all over in a flash. Well that's just how it was for Vancouver's Jeff Cowan, he explains in his own words - "For a second, I thought it was in, and then I was like, 'Aw, maybe it's not,' and then all of a sudden I got bear-hugged from behind. It was very exciting. It's my first, and I'll always remember it." We're not sure if he's describing scoring his first overtime goal in the playoffs or how the fellas showed their appreciation in the dressing room afterwards. Either way the Canucks proved they can man-handle the Ducks into submission.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home