Saturday, May 05, 2007

My Beef with the Cinema

As I've mentioned before, I've seen my fair share of movies in the past few months. Having no tv at the flat, I have to get my fill of staring blankly at a screen in some form . . .

I've gotten pretty good at timing it just right so I can walk in having missed the previews, but made the mistake of going early (read: right on time) last time. I remember when we were lucky enough to have just two or three previews of new movies before starting the film, but this is no longer the case. The ads and previews (see list below) lasted just over 20 minutes, and they even started 10 minutes late. I the end, my 2pm movie didn't start until 2:35pm - If I actually had some place to be after the movie I'd probably be fairly choked, but I can't say I was too impressed.

This is what you now have to sit through:
  • Bulmers Cider
  • Coors Beer
  • Chevy Trucks
  • Suicide Preventian
  • Rape Crisis Hotline
  • Guinness
  • Playstation
  • Car ads for Opel and Fiat
  • Drinkaware.ie
  • Irish Literacy
  • Adidas
  • 5 movie previews
Also, It seems like an accepted practice to text throughout the entire movie, leaving your bright mobile screen on the majority of the time. You even get the occasional conversation, and not a whisper of "I'll ring you back later", I'm talking about a full-blown discussion. I only wish that if I was going to be interrupted I would at least be able to hear/understand what was so important. Unfortunately the last time it was in such poor English (think Irish Valley Girl) that it was completely incomprehensible.

I would gripe about the fact that they charge an insane amount for food (who pays €12 for popcorn and a coke?), but they let you bring in whatever food/drink you want.

Finally, I didn't appreciate having to play "Try to use the urinal without peeing on yourself" - Who in their right mind designs a urinal with a flat back that slopes toward you!? I'm happy to say that I won this time, but don't know if it's worth challenging again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home