Sunday, February 11, 2007

Don't do business with Ulster Bank

It took 5 weeks, but I have finally been able to open a bank account. . .
I initially tried to open an account with the same bank as my employer, as I thought this would make things much easier - I was wrong. After explaining my situation (my name isn't on our lease agreement, so I don't have bills in my name confirming my address), getting two reference letters from work (proving I have a steady income and permanent residence), supplying them with every piece of ID I have, filling out all their paperwork and telling them that I had a few thousand Euros to deposit right then and there, I was still turned down. None of my flatmates had ANY problems opening an account - it all depends on who you are dealing with. I kept getting the excuse that there were extensive security measures in place and they had to be wary of who they allowed to do business there. Apparently I look like a shady character.
I ended up going to a different bank to see if they would be any more reasonable. 10 minutes after entering, I left with an account number in hand. They had the same policies in place as the other bank, but the teller I was dealing with was MUCH nicer. Long story short, she helped me "bend the truth" on my application so that I didn't need a utility bill/tax certificate/government issue letter. I should be fully set-up in the next couple of weeks and I'll finally be able to stop paying Royal Bank a fiver + exchange costs every time I need cash.

Today Dublin is hosting it's first match of the Six Nations Rugby Tournament (Ireland vs. France) in Croke Park, the Gaelic Athletic Associsation stadium for Hurling and Gaelic Football. The usual venue, Landsdowne Road Stadium is being rebuilt and there was a HUGE dispute over whether non-GAA sports should be allowed in the venue. I think a very generous offer was made and accepted, because soccer and rugby will be played on the grounds now. I was really hoping to get out to a game, but it seems that tickets are just about impossible to come by for any even at the stadium. One of my co-workers has season tickets to all GAA events, so was able to purchase Rugby tix at cost. In the end he sold his pair of 80euro seats for 2050euro . . .
I couldn't believe how crazy the fans are over here, especially for the Amateur Irish GAA sports; this proves it:
Croke Park had the honour of having the biggest attendance at a sporting event anywhere in the world last weekend

Croke Park - Dublin V Tyrone - National Football League (Gaelic Football) 81,678

6 Nations England V Scotland - Twickenham 80,943

6 Nations Wales V Ireland - Cardiff 74,239

Super Bowl, Colts V Chicago Bears - Miami 72,000

Real Madrid V Le Vante - La Liga 65,000

Borussia Dortmund V Stuttgart - Bundesliga 63,600

Marsele V PSG - Le Championnat 58,000


Rather than make it out to the game (although the stadium is a 15 minute walk down the street), Whitney and I are going to hit up a few of the pubs around here and watch the game with the thousands of other people that couldn't get tickets. We're all cheering for Ireland, but it's not looking too good - France is a strong team and we lost out captain (O'Driscol) to a hamstring injury in last weeks match. The Irish were favorites to win the tourney in the start, but now it's looking like it will be a battle between England and France (Go England, haha).


1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you're about as shady as Mother Teresa on valium

11:10 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home