Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Getting settled

My flight back to the UK went off without incident and I spent a good few days in Glasgow taking in the typical sights. The city was alright, but nothing too special. Apparently it has the best shopping in the UK, outside of London - you can imagine how much this impressed me... It was good to browse around the city centre though.

Check out the pics from Glasgow HERE

Next stop was Edinburgh. I booked my bus ticket ahead of time, as it turns out there is a budget company that works pretty much the same way as RyanAir (but for trains and buses). It's called MegaBus.com and I was able to get from Glasgow to Edinburgh for
₤1.
As soon as I got off the bus I fell in love with the city. There is a huge castle in the centre, with gardens all around it. They have 2 main streets - one in the "Old Town" and one in the "New Town". Everyone is extremely friendly and some of the accents are just unreal; hilarious to listen to. I spent the first few days exploring the city - it is very walkable and I went ALL OVER.
This week I started seriously looking for work and a flat, but have only been half-successful so far. After looking at a half dozen flats (a couple were good, but the others were brutal), I found one that I liked and snatched it up as soon as it was offered to me. It is a little box room in a flat with 3 other people. When I say it is a small box you have to take this quite literally - I don't even have a window in there, which may be against tenant codes... oh well. My rent is only half of the going rate in the area (C$500/month), so it is all worth it. The rest of the flat is really nice and the people I am sharing with seem pretty decent. The others are; 2 women (aged 30 and 32) and a random that I have yet to meet.
I move in this weekend before heading back to Dublin for Tuesday and Wednesday to pick-up the random stuff I had left behind at Susan's.

On the job front.
So far I haven't had too much luck in finding anything related to my degree at all. The positions are all looking for permanent placement and aren't willing to interview me because I don't have a permanent visa. If things continue like this I will pick-up some temp work, but am not all that desperate yet. Browsing the online classifieds I found an opening for some seasonal jobs over the holidays and have an interview next week for that.
Wages here aren't as high as I had expected, but they will do for now.

Hopefully I'll be fully employed and settled in my place by next week. Also, I will have more pics from my 2 days in Dublin - can't wait!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home