Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Due South

Travelling alone is lonelier than I remember (go figure). After travelling with other people for the majority of my trips since last summer I definitely got used to having someone else around. Especially when you are in a situation you don't particularly like (eg. sleeping in a park in Northern Sweden) it is always nice to have an extra person to suffer though the situation with. Oh well, I am making due so far. With the end of summer approaching most of the English speaking backpackers have headed home to start back at school or work. Over the past week I have met quite a few families and groups of Spaniards, but not really anyone to hang out with.

First off I went to Hamburg, but to my great disappointment the only places I found selling hamburgers were Burger King and McDonalds. I really expected a world-class offering, but no such luck. However, walking on down the street I stopped to watch a bit of the Olympics on a TV in a window. A random guy walked up beside me and asked who was competing - we chatted a bit and it turns out he was a local, but went on exchange last year and spent 6 months going to high school in North Vancouver. Again, small world.

After a couple stops (Bremen - the home of Beck's beer, and Wroclaw) I have ended up in Krakow as planned. I haven't had a chance to check out the city yet, but I am here for 4 nights so I should have plenty of time. Tomorrow I am going to wander the city streets, Thursday I am going to Auschwitz and Friday I plan on seeing the castle and a few other city sights before I head to Budapest for the weekend.

All the best,
Trev

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home