Friday, June 20, 2008

On to the next round of life.

25 months have passed since finishing University and I have now come to the end of my 3rd job. I've had quite a varied experience so far; lab tech at Cellfor, product management/health & safety work and product testing at Guinness, and finally accounts receivable/invoicing admin work and student liaison with the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Scotland. Not quite sure where I am going to end up next, but I've definitely learned a lot about what I don't want to do in the future. Don't get me wrong, I have actually really enjoyed all the jobs that I have had the past couple of years, but there are a few points from each that make me glad I have moved on;
A) I am a nerd at heart and love science, but I don't want to be a lab monkey working in isolation.
B) Health & Safety policy has got to be the most boring, tedious and mind-numbing topic to deal with; especially the tracking and reporting of compliance with it.
C) Tracking other peoples payments and expenses will never work out as simply as it should, and finding out what has/should have been paid will invariably lead to a dead-end. This is not how I want to spend the majority of days.

Luckily the people that I have worked with in all three jobs have been nothing short of amazing and have not faded into my past, never to be heard of again. I am quickly reminded of this as I count the hours until Diana (a former co-worker at Cellfor) arrives to start our trip around the UK and Scandinavia. It's a bit sad to be moving on, but it is great to know that I have still got a friendly face or two to meet wherever I end up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home