Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Merry Christmas/Chanukkah/Kwanzaa/Festivus

Hope everyone is having a Happy Holiday regardless of what or where you are celebrating.
I have 2 weeks off of work but am planning on sticking around Edinburgh for the most part. It's just too expensive to travel anywhere at this point in time without having anything planned ahead. One of my flatmates, Donna, is in Morocco for the week and my other 2 flatmates are staying with family for Christmas and Boxing/St. Stevens day. I'm holding down the fort on my own again this year.

When everyone was around last week we decorated the flat a bit and had a great Christmas dinner (including mini link sausages, which apparently go along with the traditional meal here). Also, I got a last minute invitation to my office Christmas party last Friday. I wasn't really expecting much, but it turned out to be a great, free, drink-filled night.

From what I have been told, and experienced so far, Christmas is fairly low-key in Scotland. It is New Years/Hogmanay that is the highlight of the Holiday Season. This is a bit different from the way things are run in the rest of the UK. For example, England and Wales have the Christmas Day (Trading) Act which prevents shops from opening on Christmas Day. It's not law that Scottish stores have to close, but it seems like most do.
The other difference (don't remember if I mentioned it in a previous blog post) is that in Scotland we get January 1st and 2nd off. Presumably so that people have 2 days to recover from their first hangover of the year...

I don't have much in the way of other news. I'm going to spend the next few days watching movies, reading and planning my next bit of traveling. My contract ends at the start of April and I am planning a week-long bus tour around Scotland before spending a couple of weeks backpacking through Scandinavia.

Hope everyone is happy, healthy and surrounded by those they care about.
Merry Christmas to all, and to all a goodnight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home